Settling Cases During and After the Pandemic - Four Perspectives (FREE REGISTRATION!)
Pillinger Miller Tarallo and St. John’s Tobin Center for Executive Education, its Maurice R. Greenberg School of Risk Management, Insurance and Actuarial Science (GRSM) proudly present this second 'virtual' conference -
Settling Cases During and After the Pandemic - Four Perspectives: Defense / Plaintiff / Judicial/Mediator / Insurance Company
The Webinar Will be Held Wednesday May 19th 2021, 2:00-4:15PM EST
Our second conference series will examine how settling personal injury cases has been affected both during and after the pandemic. Instead of the steady stream of cases going to court and eventually settling on the eve of a trial, cases are stalled. The courts have been closed or operating at significantly reduced capacity for almost a year. Also, a reduction in judges, court personnel, and jury trial limitations because of COVID-19 protocols has considerably slowed personal injury settlements.
Our conference webinar will examine this from four perspectives: defense, plaintiffs, judicial and insurance. Our panel will consist of the defense attorney perspective, a plaintiff's attorney, the judicial perspective and the insurance company perspective. We will look at what has been the panelists' experience during the past year and what changes they envision once the pandemic is over as we return to a 'new normal.'
Session One, 2:00-3:00PM: Five Things You Must Know About Settling Cases During the Pandemic
- Insurance Carriers are Still Craving Settlements.
- Waiting for the Cavalry? Not a Chance.
- Do it Yourself - You Need to Get This Done.
- Too Early or Too Late to Settle? Never!
- Case Closed - Music to Everyone's Ears.
Session Two, 3:15-4:15: Future Pacing and Settlement Cases After the Pandemic
- Will jury trials ever be the same and will the re-emergence of jury trials change anything?
- Are settlement amounts lower because of court congestion and long delays for jury trials?
- How will the suffering associated with the pandemic affect a juror's valuation of the case?
- Will values increase?
- Will mediation and binding arbitration replace jury trials?
- Will anyone agree to non-jury trials?
- What will be the effect of COVID on the availability and pricing of policies?
Dates: May 19, 2021
Time: 2:00-4:15 - Followed by a Q&A